Thread: Depowering Honda Rack

Default Depowering Honda Rack

Now that it is legal to do so, is there a right way, or for that matter, a wrong way, to de-power the steering rack on a Honda Civic? 2000 Si if it matters.

Thanks

Rory

I did it to my car since the power steering pump was failing. I just looped back the flexible lines on the rack, refilled it with fresh Honda PS Fluid and put it back in the car.

In retrospect, I think it would have been better if I had run flexible lines to a small reservoir higher up on the firewall that I could fill with power steering fluid. It would have made it easier to bleed all the air out of the rack and to change the fluid in the future (not that it'll happen often, but still).
    Roger Maeda - #7 ITS Honda Prelude Si
    South Jersey Region

Now with fewer numbers.

I recently installed this nifty little product:

http://www.devsportusa.com/DevSport-...-Sol_p_76.html

They've got them for 2000 Civics, too.

Haven't had a chance to try it out yet, since the engine is out of the car, but it was fairly easy to install, and took 15lbs off the front end of the car, too. I've read quite a range of opinions on whether one needs a fluid reservoir or not, and have decided against it for now, but it shouldn't be too hard to add one in the future if it deems necessary.
    Darren Murdock
    #05 ITA Honda Civic EX Coupe
    Cal Club - SCCA