Thread: Towing a 24'

Default Towing a 24'

Good morning to all. I have been lucky enough to purchase a 24' enclosed trailer for my race car, the question I have is what are the rest of you guys using to control the swaying? Bringing it home scared the heck out of me when ever an 18 wheeler would pass me, of course the trailer was empty.

Direct answer to your question: I personally use the Reese Dual Cam anti-sway control on my Excursion with a 28' trailer.

But sorry to say, you'll never ever get rid of that aero sway problem with a tag trailer. You might minimize it with sway control (though this is a different problem) and/or a dually truck. But it'll never go away. It's just simple aerodynamics and leverage of a tag trailer, not a problem with load and/or truck/trailer interface. You've got a big high pressure bow wave of air pushing on the ass end of your trailer, pushing the nose in, then that pressure wave pushes on the nose of the trailer, pushing it away. There's no amount of anti-sway control (which is designed to accommodate fore-aft loading) that will stop that from happening.
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys..."
    No longer bathing in the "universal fearlessness of inexperience"... - B. Redmond

the more tongue weight the better they feel. of course you need leveler bars to keep the rear of the truck at an acceptable level.
    dick patullo
    ner scca ITA Rx7
    now IT7
    this winters project GT3 Rx3 restoration
    or is it GT Lite way behind schedule.

I use the Fastway E2 12k Trunnion style.

I pull with my 1/2 Ton F150. I have the 5K axles and I've been loaded up right around the 9K mark. Cruises fine down the interstate.

I won't say that it doesn't sway somewhat however.

I bought mine from here:

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...ol-hitches.htm
    #38 ITS BMW
    Midwestern Council of Sports Car Clubs
    Tim Schreyer

Thanks Guys, snowman good link thanks. I will be towing with a 2006 expedition with the tow package and yes I know I can load the hell out of it and my open trailer with car ,spares and a scooter with no problem.

Aero is the primary reason that open trailers tow such much nicer. I've towed an 8,000 gross open trailer behind the Excursion and it was like it wasn't even there. I wish someone would design a pop-up enclosed auto trailer...
    No longer bathing in the "universal fearlessness of inexperience"... - B. Redmond

Look into an addco or similar rear sway bar update for the tow vehicle. Biggest improvement I have ever seen that is relatively inexpensive and is way more stable to tow.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (DOA)

I've got a Helwig rear swaybar and rear airbags and serious rear tag weight...still pwnd by passing trucks. Aero is a bitch.

I tow a 28 foot enclosed plus a 5 foot V nose with a GMC 2500 short bed truck.
    I really like the Andersen "No Sway" Weight Distributing Hitch system.

It was a little scary towing it back from the factory with just a hitch and no sway control.

After getting this hitch it is a huge difference. Tows comfortably at 80mph

http://www.andersenhitches.com/catal...ion-hitch.aspx

Abhi
    Abhi Ghatak
    1995 ITA Miata by Kessler Engineering
    2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 NERRC ITA Champion
    2015 NAARC, NYSRRC ITA Champion. 2nd NEDIV

The Expedition may be part of the issue. I used to tow with a Suburban (new) and it was fine pulling a 24' enclosed. But the trailer would wag that thing all around almost at will - not all the time, but whenever it needed/wanted to. I traded to a (then new) 1500 Silverado quad cab with 6' bed and it got 100% better. The truck suspension and chassis didn't allow for the trailer to push the truck around nearly as much as the Suburban. Still can be a little bit of an issue when I'm passing a semi going my direction, but worlds better. The new 20' is almost not even there when I tow now.

I use this hitch setup ($240 with free shipping!) and have not used the sway control (included): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Matt Downing
    1995 Honda Civic EX Coupe - ITA
    2006 Pontiac Solstice - Touring 4
    downingracing
    Ohio Valley Region, SCCA

Quote Originally Posted by downingracing View Post
    The Expedition may be part of the issue.
    There may be something to that. I don't think it's the sail area of the vehicle itself, but more likely the cushy softer suspension.

After this thread, I was paying attention this past weekend as I was towing the 28-footer to/from Palmer on the highway. Any time even a mid-size SUV was passing me, either side, the nose of the Excursion pulls toward the passing vehicle. Midway abeam it evens out, then as it passes (or maybe as the tail end of the truck clears the tail end of my trailer) the Excursion pushes away. So as I'm getting passed (or passing) I'm constantly adjusting my trim to stay centered in the lane. It's not a "rate of sway" change that can be fixed with sway control (after all, those are only dampers) it's just a change in forces that my setup is not able to resist without driver input. This does not happen with an open trailer.

My Excursion has the lighter F-250 suspension. I'm wondering if I stiffened it up to F-350 specs if it would be better. But then, now I have an SUV that drives like a freakin' pickup truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Aero is the primary reason that open trailers tow such much nicer. I've towed an 8,000 gross open trailer behind the Excursion and it was like it wasn't even there. I wish someone would design a pop-up enclosed auto trailer...
    Agreed - aero on an enclosed is the biggest issue. I basically get comparable gas mileage towing empty or loaded. I have a flat front with only the rolled top 1ft or so into the roof line.

Talking with the trailer dealer, (MSI out of Indiana - they sell to the likes of the Lucas Oil Drag outfit) they said the only thing they've ever noticed make a sizeable benefit is the raised roof mount spoilers or toppers with a sloping angle toward the roofline of the trailer. They said they've pulled a v-nose, round nose, and flat nose back to back with no noticeable difference.
    #38 ITS BMW
    Midwestern Council of Sports Car Clubs
    Tim Schreyer

The closer the hitch is the the tow vehicle axle the better the tow. The big Ford hangs the hitch pretty far from the axle. The aero center of pressure from the passing rig has lots of leverage on the rear tires. As the rig rolls by yu the pressure moves the trailer and tail of the dog around. Try towing with shorter overhang ,Like the LWB Chevy van. (mine) .
    Mike W. Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

I believe the Expedition uses a coil over rear suspension design (same as the Suburban) and that could be the cause of the issues here. Greg, If you already have the F250 suspension, I'm guessing it already rides like a truck? (Not as bad as an F350, but no where near an Expedition or Suburban)
    Matt Downing
    1995 Honda Civic EX Coupe - ITA
    2006 Pontiac Solstice - Touring 4
    downingracing
    Ohio Valley Region, SCCA

The F250 of that era is a compromise between ride and work. More Urban Cowboy than real cowboy.

But, yes, it's still a frame/live axle/i-beam front suspension truck.

Thank you all for your suggestions on hitches. My next plan will be is to install heavier duty springs/struts, a much thicker rear sway bar and look into going from the factory 17" wheels to the newer 20" to 22" factory wheels to lower the tire to rim ratio.

Late to the party, but...

Greg, I tow my trailer (for those reading at home, similar in size to his) with a 12 passenger (standard length) E350, W/D hitch and experience the same yaw effects you describe. I don't yet have a Helwig rear sway - that's happening over the winter. The E-series is a leaf spring truck, unlike your Ex.

It's good to know I'm not the only one who has noticed the aero sensitivty of these things. I thought it was somehow related to how my rig was set up. In fact, I've noticed that different types of trucks cause different effects. Tankers are the worst, and are sometimes truly white knuckle experiences. Motor homes (larger ones, with flat noses) are a close second.
    Rob Myles
    Hero To The Momentum Challenged
    SSM #53
    Pandora's Garage / RP Performance / Speed1

Just as an additional data point,,, to which I am such most will say "duh",,, I tow a 26' tag trailer with a regular cab (like 2 seats), 8' bed, 2WD, F350 Dually and I can pass semis at 85 MPH, be passed by semis and not notice they are there. No wiggle at all and I do not use a WDH.
    My 8' bed has a camper top on it which may help smooth the aero out.

As mentioned by Snowman above, the truck bed and trailer fully loaded vs both virtually empty has literally no effect on my gas mileage. My camper top is level to my cab, I frequently wonder if I messed up by not getting the tall kind that ramps up another level to get closer to the level of the trailer roof line.

Has anyone with enclosed trailers ever tried or consider the AirTab?

http://www.airtab.com
    Jimmy P.
    #98 BMW E30 M3 - SPU

Sorry, late to this.

Weight distrubiting bars have specific ratings. putting 12,000 bars on a 10K trailer will also contribute to your problem. More isn't always better......
    Also, your trailer will contribute to the problem.

I towed a 24" Haulmark and it wandered all over the road. Switched to a 28' Featherlite and have traveled from FLorida to Massachusetts many times (often with two Miatas on board) over the last 8 years, Featherlite tows like a dream.....
    Jerry
    NER South